Equipment and Supplies
Acquiring the right equipment is very important, often expensive and needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
H/G Fresh and Frozen fillets
- Knives, tables and cutting boards
- Knives need to be sharp with a sharpening tool on hand. Select the correct knives for fillets or heading and gutting.
- Table and cutting board should be a contained unit so that water and waste drain to the table and not the floor. This will facilitate clean-up. A certified supply of fresh water will be required for rinsing and cleaning.
- Pin Boning
- Pin bone machines can be purchased, but depending on volume and costs, pin bones can also be removed from fillets with special needle nose pliers.
- Drying rack
- Both fillets and H/G Fresh fish will need a place where they can dry out prior to packaging
- Vacuum Packer
- Blast or Plate Freezer
- All vacuum sealed pouches of fish need to be frozen. In order to obtain the quality that your customers will require, you should consider a freezer that brings the core temperature of the fish to -40 degrees Fahrenheit below freezing.
- Boxes, Liners & Insulating Foil
- Refrigerator / Freezer
- Depending on your marketing strategy, you will most likely need to store varying amounts of fish.
- Plumbing & Electrical
- A shore based processing facility requires a great deal of plumbing & electrical. See regulations and building template for details.
- Hot Water Heater
- Ice Machine
- Office Equipment
- Box stapler
- Permit Stamper
- Cleaning Station
- Fish Slide